The Benefits of Gymnastics for All Ages
Gymnastics is often considered to be a sport for the young, but people of all ages and abilities can practise it. There has recently been a tremendous growth in the area of pre-school groups where 1 to 5 year olds discover the foundations of human movement in a playful environment .
Statistical analyses of recent studies amongst primary school children suggest that basic gymnastics training improves selected motor tests, such as standing long jump, trunk lift, sit and reach, balance, 20 m run, chin-up, curl-up, push-up , and these studies highlight the equalization of the grip force in both hands of young gymnasts as a direct result of practising gymnastics - a sport which develops the body symmetrically . Furthermore, gymnastics offers a great range of locomotive, stability and body control movements which are highly important for the development of children .
Gymnasts are amongst the strongest and most flexible of all athletes. One of the most important benefits of gymnastics activity is that the gymnast can experience a variety of things while performing skills (moment of inertia and its relation to angular momentum) rather than just reading about them. The richness of such experiences goes far beyond reading about them in a book .
The desire to participate in gymnastics is not only associated with obvious improvements in physical fitness, but also with the sense of challenge and achievement which can be experienced at any level of ability. It also offers a rare opportunity for freedom of human movement and expression of aesthetic and artistic qualities .
Gymnastics is the greatest sport ever and as Dr Sands describes in his articles, many people have grown up with it, to become doctors, lawyers, teachers, business people, professors, police officers, nurses, scientists, etc. Gymnastics provides an outstanding way for young people to test their mettle against themselves and others. Gymnastics can provide opportunities for physical development, character development, and education that are hard to find anywhere else .
GYMNASTICS FOR LIFE!
'The Benefits of Gymnastics for All Ages' (2015). STK SPORT - Introduction to Gymnastics. Retrieved from STK SPORT <https://www.stk-sport.co.uk/gymnastics-introduction-why-gymnastics.html>
STK SPORT - Introduction To Gymnastics
- Gymnastics. Prepared for the Royal Navy in Association with the British Gymnastics Association and produced by Education and Youth Limited, London, UK
- Sands, W. (1999) Why Gymnastics? Technique, Vol. 19, No. 3.
- Kolimechkov S., L. Petrov at al.: Assessment of the physical development of pre-school and primary school children practising artistic gymnastics. Journal of Sport Science 2013, 4, 106-115
- Alpkaya, U. (2013) The effects of basic gymnastics training integrated with physical education courses on selected motor performance variables. Academic Journals 8, 317-321
- Pajek, M., I. Cuk, M. Kovac, and Jakse, B. (2010) Implementation of the gymnastics curriculum in the third cycle of basic school in Slovenia. Sci. Gym. J. 2, 15-27